What Can Happen To Your Skin During Pregnancy
by Dr. Sean Lee, MBBS
Pregnancy is a magical journey for most women, however it is worth to note that your skin is not invulnerable to hormonal fluctuations and the plethora of pregnancy related skin issues that come with those changes. While some women report what’s called a ‘pregnancy glow’, not everyone is equally fortunate. Here are the most common skin issues women face during/after pregnancy: (Read on more to find out how to collect your free Maternity Silk Skincare Travel Pack worth $89)
- Dry, flaky skin that looks dehydrated and bare
- Stretch marks that accompany weight gain and cause skin to stretch rapidly
- Acne - Driven by hormones, acne is a common complaint of pregnant women.
- Itching - Together why dryness and flakiness is a general skin irritation that causes itching.
- Loss of natural elasticity
- Pigmentation - elevated levels of the 2 hormones Oestrogen and Progesterone are the usual culprits in increasing melasma and pigmentation
Don’t let these physical changes mar your happy journey!
While you cannot control the hormonal changes, you can do your part and take care of your skin. Use products that are completely safe for you and baby!
And focus on enjoying your pregnancy and the arrival of your bundle of joy.
The following are some common harmful cosmetic ingredients that can cause harm during your pregnancy:
- All Retinoids (Vitamin A) are advised against during pregnancy. They pose a 20-35% risk of severe congenital defects.
- Salicylic acid – which has high anti-inflammatory capabilities should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Hydroquinone - which lightens or reduce skin pigmentation that occurs from melasma, which can be brought about by pregnancy, is readily absorbed by the body in significant amount – and therefore best avoided during pregnancy.
- Phthalates - found in many beauty products, can cause hormone dysfunction and should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Alcohol - Rosacea (redness and visible blood vessels) and Spider Veins are common in pregnancy. On top of removing your skin’s natural oil barrier, the use of alcohol in cosmetics exacerbates these conditions.
- Parabens - Commonly used in skincare products, parabens are cheap and effective preservatives used in many cosmetics. Studies have now shown that parabens are “estrogenic” and can mimic the action of the female hormone oestrogen. As a result, they may constitute the increased risk of breast cancer and may cause fertility issues. Furthermore, they have also been known to interfere with fetal gestation and the first year of a baby’s life.
- Formaldehyde - known carcinogen and can increase risk of miscarriage. Formaldehyde may be rarely used these days, but many similar chemicals are still present in cosmetics and personal care products.
The following content is sponsored by Alexandr&Co:
“More than anything else in my life, my twin pregnancy affected my skin. With all those hormones running through my body and the demands of those two growing babies, I found my face in particular was extremely dehydrated. I also had acute morning sickness so I was also losing loads of fluid from being sick all day long… The products were a lifesaver for me - making my dry, damaged skin more supple and moisturised without giving me breakouts."
Yvette King - Host of E! Asia
“My skin condition became dry and flaky after my baby was born. It started to itch and it affected my quality of life. I was depressed. Then, I was gifted Alexandr&Co skin care and I started using the products when my baby was 3 months old. Now, after just a month, the flakiness is almost gone! And I am starting to feel a bounce on my skin! My family and friends have commented on my improved skin which glows and looks healthy!"
Rae Chia – Product Marketing Manager
As it is important to choose the right skincare during pregnancy, Alexandr&Co addresses many of the issues that pregnant women face and all our products are pregnancy-safe.
Embark on your silken journey and combat pregnancy related skin issues with Chrysalis Silk Treasures, Silk Skincare formulated by Doctors and made in Gunma, Japan.
Alexandr&Co.'s Chrysalis Silk Treasures
THE 8 SKINCARE MIRACLES OF SILK SERICIN COMPLEX™
- Anti-Oxidizing Silk
- Reduces Trans-Epidermal Water Loss
- Hydrates and Moisturizes
- Helps Reduce Inflammation
- Soothes and Calms Skin
- Increases Natural Collagen Production
- Natural Protection For Skin
- Anti-Aging & Anti-Wrinkle
Alexandr&Co and Baby&Kids
Alexandr&Co has partnered Baby&Kids on a journey to bring pregnancy-safe and effective skin care to you, our treasured customers. For a limited time, we are giving out the SeriGuard™ Silk Moisturiser sample and the SeriShine™ Eye Cream sample at Baby & Kids @IMM Megamall #03-24. Come on down to collect these samples and be amazed with the miracles of silk!
Click here to find out more about Alexandr&Co